1. I am wordy by nature.
2. In order to communicate to you the little tricks I've learned throughout the years, I need to explain thoroughly. It just makes things so much easier.
So make it easier on yourself. Learn from my many years of trial and error.
First, the recipe:
Bread Dough <------- br="" click="" print="" to="">
------->
1/2 cup warm water (about 105* to 115*)
1 packet yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups warm milk
Flour (A high gluten bread flour yields the best results!)
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and sugar, then allow yeast to bloom (4 or 5 minutes and you should see it growing) before adding warm milk and the oil. Add about 3 cups of flour and mix. Continue adding flour until you have a dough you can handle. Turn onto a floured surface and allow to rest for 10 minutes or so. While dough is resting, wash out your mixing bowl, dry and then generously oil it. Set aside.
Sprinkle dough with additional flour and begin kneading. Continue kneading, adding flour as needed to keep dough from getting sticky, for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in oiled bowl, then turn dough over so oiled side is up. Cover with a warm, damp towel and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. This will take about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough and ***shape as desired. Allow to rise until doubled, about 35-45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease pans. For dinner rolls, bake for approximately 12-14 minutes. Lay a sheet of foil loosely over rolls to prevent over-browning and allow to bake an additional 10 minutes or so, or until they're done. Remove from oven and rub or brush tops with butter. For cinnamon rolls, bake for approximately 10-12 minutes and check to see if they're done. Depending upon the size of the pan and the thickness of the rolls, it may take up to 18-20 minutes.
For loaves, grease loaf pans, shape dough into loaves and bake for 20-30 minutes depending upon size of loaves. You may need to cover loosely with foil to prevent over browning. Loaves are done when tapping on them produces a hollow sound.
***At this point you can shape into simple rolls, cloverleaf rolls, cinnamon rolls, loaves, etc. This is a multipurpose dough that is delicious no matter how you shape it.



A knife makes this messy work. Dental floss makes it quick, neat and easy!
Simply slide the floss under the roll, bring up the sides and crisscross.

How easy was that?Place rolls cut side down on greased pan.
Place pan in a warm area (I use my oven...NOT turned on, of course.)
Allow to rise for a second time, about 40-45 minutes or so.

But wait! We need GLAZE!Just a simple glaze.
Mix up a couple of cups of confectioner's sugar,
a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and just enough water to make a good drizzle.
And there ya go!*Yeast is a living thing. Never add the oil before adding at least a portion of the dry ingredients.
The oil will bind to the yeast and suffocate it, stopping the rising process before it even begins.
*That ten minutes of resting time before you begin kneading the dough can make all the difference in the world in the consistency of your bread.
Impatience can ruin it.
*Be generous with your kneading time. Unlike biscuits, yeast bread likes being handled.
Over-handling or over-kneading will make biscuits tough.
Yeast dough gets smoother and more elastic and reaches perfection
from kneading for at least ten minutes.
*Don't try to make this bread when you are in a hurry. Trust me, you'll be disappointed.
Patience is the most important part of this recipe.
I can't stress that enough.
*Days of high humidity can cause issues, too. I do my best to avoid making bread when it's raining or the humidity is simply through the roof. The dough is sticky, difficult to handle, and the consistency of the finished product suffers, too.




Those were some great tips, thanks! Your cinnamon rolls look yummy. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat recipe, I'm gonna have to try this one out. I have failed in the break making dept., weird, I know since my family, etc. love everything I make. Gotta have one flaw though, right...HAHAHA!!! The humidity could have been the problem though, never knew it would make a difference. Living in SC for about 20 years, always had high humidity, haven't tried baking bread since living here in IN. I may just have to give it another try now. :) Thanks!!! Hope to see you soon! :)
ReplyDeleteAh Kelli, this makes me nostalgic! When I was a "young" mother (I didn't start having my children till I was 30!) I baked bread all the time. In fact, that's how we started gaining, because we loved that bread right out of the oven with butter on it! Nothing better tasting than a good loaf of bread, cinnamon rolls or homemade biscuits! Thanks for all the tips. I'd love to make some today for it's been a long time since I made them! I look forward to trying your recipe.
ReplyDelete