Come on in! Let's talk FOOD!

"Bacon grease makes pretty much anything taste better!" is the local philosophy and I grew up on good, down home country cookin'! Although I've ventured into a healthier way of eating (some of the time) I still enjoy many of the favorites of my childhood. I also have a passion for Italian food and I'm slowly but surely learning the pleasures of cooking with fresh herbs. Here I'll share with you a broad spectrum of recipes...some healthier than others, but all of them guaranteed DELICIOUS! : )

*I have imported posts from my other blog. These posts may involve topics other than food, but they do include recipes or food related information at some point in the post. Future posts to this blog will be more strictly food-related but I did want to include these recipes here.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Spinach Salad Pitas


PLEASE don't let the word 'spinach' turn you away from this recipe! I am not a huge fan of it but I LOVE this stuff. It is terrific as an appetizer and doesn't have to be stuffed in pitas. It's also great served on crackers. My MIL got this recipe from a friend and shared it with me a few years ago. It has been craved often since that time. ;)

Spinach Salad Pitas

2-10 oz. packages of frozen spinach

½ cup chopped celery

½ cup chopped onion

2 boiled eggs, chopped

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar

2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (not horseradish mustard, but the creamy kind)

½ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vinegar

1 ¼ cups mayonnaise

Thaw spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture. Add celery, onions, eggs and cheese. Mix remaining ingredients to make dressing. Combine and refrigerate overnight. Serve in pita pockets cut into quarters.


*Important* Slice pita pockets in half to fill. Once stuffed, slice again into quarters. Fill pitas no more than a couple of hours before serving or they will become soggy. Keep refrigerated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love some comments! :) If you have a question about something I posted, ASK IT! If you tried a recipe and have a review, SHARE IT! If you tried a recipe and added a touch of your own, TELL ME ABOUT IT! :)