Come on in! Let's talk FOOD!

"Bacon grease makes pretty much anything taste better!" is the local philosophy and I grew up on good, down home country cookin'! Although I've ventured into a healthier way of eating (some of the time) I still enjoy many of the favorites of my childhood. I also have a passion for Italian food and I'm slowly but surely learning the pleasures of cooking with fresh herbs. Here I'll share with you a broad spectrum of recipes...some healthier than others, but all of them guaranteed DELICIOUS! : )

*I have imported posts from my other blog. These posts may involve topics other than food, but they do include recipes or food related information at some point in the post. Future posts to this blog will be more strictly food-related but I did want to include these recipes here.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins

Funny how you can take these...


Mash them and mix them with a few other ingredients, so they look like this...



Then bake it to make it turn into these...



I LOVE BANANA MUFFINS!

I have tried numerous banana muffin recipes over the years
and just never found the one that was my idea of perfect.
They were either too dry, too coarse, too bland or didn't have enough banana flavor.

Today I decided to just use my Mom's banana bread recipe
and put the batter into muffin tins to bake.
THAT was a GREAT idea!

I've always thought Mom's banana bread was the best around anyway,
but somehow I just didn't think it would make the best muffins.
I was looking for a slightly smoother texture for the muffins
than what I thought the bread batter would provide.

I'm happy to report that I was quite mistaken.

These are the most delicious banana muffins I've ever tasted!
And the texture is exactly what I was hoping it would be.
Here is the recipe and please remember...
I always do my own thing with recipes like this, so yes...I have changed it up a bit from the original that Mom gave me, but I can assure you I didn't hurt it one little bit. ; )

Banana Bread or Muffins
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup Crisco oil
3 large, overly ripe bananas
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 heaping Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired (I LOVE this with walnuts!)

Cream sugar and oil. Add eggs and mix well. Sift dry ingredients into mixture and add mashed bananas. Pour into greased and cinnamon/sugared loaf pan or muffin tin. Bake at 350* until brown.
loaf pan = 40-50 minutes or muffins = 20-24 minutes or 13"x9" pan = 30 minutes

Tips and Tricks:
*I always double this recipe and it works very well. I have doubled some recipes in the past that do not double well, changing the consistency or flavor in some way. This one is PERFECT for doubling and it gives you some to share with friends and family. : )

*If you are short a banana or two, you can use applesauce to pick up the slack.
That's exactly what I did today!
Since I had only 4 bananas and I needed 6 to double the recipe,
I simply added what I thought was enough applesauce to equal 2 bananas.
I would never substitute for more than one banana per recipe
or you'll lose too much banana flavor.

*When making muffins, I fill the cups almost completely to the top,
not 3/4 full like for cupcakes.
You want a nice, rounded crown on your muffin and you won't get it if you don't fill the cup.
And I sprinkle the top of the batter with cinnamon/sugar
just before putting them in the oven.
I have also made a streusel topping for them
using flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and cold butter.
Mix until crumbly and then sprinkle on top of the batter before baking.
YUMMY!!!

Attempting to add a printable version below...just click on it!

Printable Version of Banana Bread or Muffins

2 comments:

  1. Grrrrrr, WHY didn't I click on this BEFORE I threw out my old bananas? I love banana nut muffins....they are my favorite!

    I will definitely try these the next time I have black bananas...haha!

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe you'll like them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love some comments! :) If you have a question about something I posted, ASK IT! If you tried a recipe and have a review, SHARE IT! If you tried a recipe and added a touch of your own, TELL ME ABOUT IT! :)