Come on in! Let's talk FOOD!

"Bacon grease makes pretty much anything taste better!" is the local philosophy and I grew up on good, down home country cookin'! Although I've ventured into a healthier way of eating (some of the time) I still enjoy many of the favorites of my childhood. I also have a passion for Italian food and I'm slowly but surely learning the pleasures of cooking with fresh herbs. Here I'll share with you a broad spectrum of recipes...some healthier than others, but all of them guaranteed DELICIOUS! : )

*I have imported posts from my other blog. These posts may involve topics other than food, but they do include recipes or food related information at some point in the post. Future posts to this blog will be more strictly food-related but I did want to include these recipes here.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Not Yo Mama's Beef Stew

It is MY Mama's beef stew though!

I never knew that this was not a typical beef stew until I was all grown up and found out that most people don't use tomatoes and oregano in theirs. It is not a brown-gravy-style stew but it is just as much a comfort food as anything you've ever eaten. Plus your house will smell AMAZING when this is cooking! I am currently on a CrockPot kick, so that's the way I'm preparing this today. You can also cook it on top of the stove. The best part is, you use LEFTOVERS and since the meat and all the veggies are already cooked, you only have to cook it for a short time. Feasibly, you could throw this together as soon as you walk in the door from work and be eating in about an hour.

If you'd like the printable version, click here. : )

Beef Stew

leftover roast beef, potatoes, carrots and onions
2 cans diced tomatoes
oregano
basil
broth from your roast or 2 cans beef broth

lg. can of tomato juice
salt to taste

Cut potatoes, carrots and beef into chunks. Place all ingredients in large CrockPot or soup pan.

Amount of oregano and basil will vary to suit your individual taste, but I'd suggest starting with about a 1/2 teaspoon of each. (Err on the side of caution. You can always add more if you want, but you can't take it out if you throw in too much.) If using a slow cooker, you may cook this on low for 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours. Your meat and veggies are already fully cooked, so you're just cooking it long enough to meld the flavors. If you are cooking it stove top, bring it to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes or so.


TIPS AND TRICKS
*The day you cook your roast and veggies for dinner, be sure to throw in a few extra potatoes, carrots and onions to ensure that you have leftovers. THERE! Two meals covered! :) *

*If you use store bought dried seasonings, you will use a little more than if you use Amish seasonings. I always buy my herbs and spices in Ohio Amish Country and have learned that a little goes a looooooong way. That's one of the reasons I can't give you an ideal measurement.*


*If the broth is too rich to suit your taste, you can add water to taste.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love some comments! :) If you have a question about something I posted, ASK IT! If you tried a recipe and have a review, SHARE IT! If you tried a recipe and added a touch of your own, TELL ME ABOUT IT! :)