Come on in! Let's talk FOOD!

"Bacon grease makes pretty much anything taste better!" is the local philosophy and I grew up on good, down home country cookin'! Although I've ventured into a healthier way of eating (some of the time) I still enjoy many of the favorites of my childhood. I also have a passion for Italian food and I'm slowly but surely learning the pleasures of cooking with fresh herbs. Here I'll share with you a broad spectrum of recipes...some healthier than others, but all of them guaranteed DELICIOUS! : )

*I have imported posts from my other blog. These posts may involve topics other than food, but they do include recipes or food related information at some point in the post. Future posts to this blog will be more strictly food-related but I did want to include these recipes here.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Blubbery Moofins....or Blueberry Muffins



What you call them is up to you. Our little family refers to them as 'blubbery moofins' thanks to an episode of iCarly.

Yes, we are an iCarly family. I'm not ashamed.

Anyway, this particular recipe I have used for years and there is no one in this family who can resist them. Well, except for my son-in-law Josh. And I just have to leave the blueberries out of his and then he likes them just fine.

Yes, blueberry muffins with no blueberries. Go figure.

These are mass produced here on Christmas morning every year. On Christmas Eve I prepare the ingredients for mixing and grease the muffin tins. This keeps it simple on Christmas morning. While they are baking I prepare the oyster stew, which is another Christmas ritual at our house. I'll share that recipe one of these days, too.

If you'd like a printable version, just click here.
(You have no idea how much it thrills me to type that sentence!) ; )

All the ingredients are pictured here:


Christmas Morning Blueberry Muffins

Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and preheat your oven to 400*.

There now. The hard part is out of the way. ; )

Mix the streusel in a small bowl, and if you have a MawMaw fork, use it. : )

Streusel
1/4 cup flour
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons cold margarine

Mix first three ingredients well. Cut in margarine to form a crumbly mixture. Set aside.

In medium mixing bowl combine:
1/3 cup oil
1 large egg
1 cup milk

In small bowl combine:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Pour flour mixture into milk mixture and stir just until flour is moistened.

Gently stir in:
1 cup blueberries

Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups and top each with streusel mixture.

This shows about how full you want each cup as well as how much streusel you want on top.

Bake at 400* for 20-25 minutes.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Here is the finished product:



*And now for a little disclaimer. *
(You knew this was coming, right?)
Do you really think that little, itty-bitty bit of streusel ingredients is gonna make enough of that lusciously cinnamony topping for those muffins?

If you answered no, pull up your pants and go to the head of the class.

I just about double it.

If I actually measured anything I could tell you that I exactly doubled it.
Since I don't, you'll just have to take my word for it.

MAKE MORE STREUSEL.



Tips and Tricks
*If using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain completely.

* Never over-mix muffins. I know it's hard, but you must stop stirring before it looks completely combined and smooth. The same is true of brownies.
It's the best way to ruin them.

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful, Kelli! And I'm with you...I double the topping, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Love some comments! :) If you have a question about something I posted, ASK IT! If you tried a recipe and have a review, SHARE IT! If you tried a recipe and added a touch of your own, TELL ME ABOUT IT! :)