Come on in! Let's talk FOOD!

"Bacon grease makes pretty much anything taste better!" is the local philosophy and I grew up on good, down home country cookin'! Although I've ventured into a healthier way of eating (some of the time) I still enjoy many of the favorites of my childhood. I also have a passion for Italian food and I'm slowly but surely learning the pleasures of cooking with fresh herbs. Here I'll share with you a broad spectrum of recipes...some healthier than others, but all of them guaranteed DELICIOUS! : )

*I have imported posts from my other blog. These posts may involve topics other than food, but they do include recipes or food related information at some point in the post. Future posts to this blog will be more strictly food-related but I did want to include these recipes here.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sausage and Peppers Penne

Oh how I love the wonderful aroma of fresh basil. I can be cooking with any other herb or spice and enjoy the scent, but there is something special about fresh basil. This dish contains just enough of it to have you salivating the second you enter the kitchen.

This was The Hubster's favorite meal on the Olive Garden menu. Of course, on their menu it was called Sausage and Peppers Rustica. Don't want any problems with my very favorite restaurant chain and since I've changed it up a bit, I'm also altering the name. It's still absolutely delicious, no matter what you call it!

Beware: This is another recipe where I simply don't measure. You can no longer find the original OG recipe on their website, but my recipe simplifies it somewhat and basically tailored it to suit the tastes of my family.

Sausage and Peppers Penne <-------Click here to print
5 links mild Italian sausage
Extra virgin olive oil
1 29 oz. can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (leave about 1/2" in the can...you just don't need it all)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (ditto on the amount; leave about 1/2" in the can)
2 large green bell peppers, sliced into strips
2 large onions, sliced into strips
Sea salt (or regular table salt, if that's what you have)
Several leaves of fresh basil (to taste...I tend to use a lot of this, too. We LOVE basil!), chopped
1 pound box of penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Slice sausage into chunks or discs, according to how you prefer it. Brown in a couple of tablespoons of EVOO until cooked thoroughly. Remove from skillet and drain. In same skillet, saute peppers and onions in additional olive oil until crispness is lost but not soft.
Now toss the sausage and a sprinkle of salt into the peppers and onions in the skillet, then add the tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, 4 tablespoons EVOO and fresh basil. Bring to a light simmer, stirring gently.

Cook pasta and drain well. Spoon pasta onto plates, top with sausage/pepper/onion/sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired. Serve with garden salad and hot bread. YUMMY! : )

2 comments:

  1. Kelli, what is EVOO? I've never heard of this. This recipe sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVOO is extra virgin olive oil. I'm sorry, I thought everyone was familiar with Rachael Ray's term! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love some comments! :) If you have a question about something I posted, ASK IT! If you tried a recipe and have a review, SHARE IT! If you tried a recipe and added a touch of your own, TELL ME ABOUT IT! :)